Poison parsnip causes severe burns, blisters on woman's legs

A woman was left with severe burns and blisters on her legs after encountering an invasive species of plant in Vermont.

Charlotte Murphy says she developed painful blisters overnight after brushing against poison parsnip. Murphy says the blisters got so bad she had to go to the hospital to see a burn specialist.

The Essex woman learned her injuries were comparable to second-degree burns and were caused by the invasive plant.

David Grass of the Vermont Department of Health says the sap in the parsnip has a chemical reaction with the sun that causes accelerated burns. He says people should wear long pants and sleeves while in tall grass.

Murphy says she hopes her experience helps educate people.


Explore further

Giant hogweed can burn skin and eyes, and it's spreading

© 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Citation: Poison parsnip causes severe burns, blisters on woman's legs (2018, July 18) retrieved 23 August 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-07-poison-parsnip-severe-blisters-woman.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more