UN: 'Substantial risks' remain in Congo's Ebola outbreak

Ebola
Ebola virus particles (red) on a larger cell. Credit: NIAID

The World Health Organization says "substantial risks" remain in the ongoing Ebola outbreak in northeastern Congo, noting that while control measures appear to be working, health officials are still unable to track exactly where the deadly virus is spreading.

The U.N. health agency in a new statement says most patients recently admitted to Ebola clinics were given experimental treatments and that many contacts of cases have been immunized with a novel vaccine.

Four of the 13 new cases from the city of Beni were not previously identified as contacts, meaning officials don't know how they were exposed to Ebola.

WHO also reports "sporadic instances" of high-risk behaviors like unsafe burials, which could worsen the outbreak. To date, there have been 86 confirmed cases including 47 deaths.


Explore further

Congo health ministry preps for possible Ebola vaccinations

© 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Citation: UN: 'Substantial risks' remain in Congo's Ebola outbreak (2018, August 31) retrieved 13 October 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-08-substantial-congo-ebola-outbreak.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
1 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more