DR Congo Ebola death toll rises to 170

The Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo has claimed 170 lives, health authorities said on Sunday.

The health ministry said in a bulletin they had recorded 267 cases including 170 deaths.

Authorities had put the toll at 164 on Friday.

In mid-October, Congolese authorities said they were facing a "second wave" of the outbreak centred on Beni, a town in North Kivu province near the border with Uganda.

The epicentre had earlier been focused on Mangina, around 20 kilometres (12 miles) from Beni.

The latest outbreak is the 10th in DR Congo since Ebola was first detected there in 1976.


Explore further

DR Congo Ebola death toll rises to 164

© 2018 AFP

Citation: DR Congo Ebola death toll rises to 170 (2018, October 29) retrieved 17 September 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-10-dr-congo-ebola-death-toll_1_2.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
5 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more