North Carolina man dies of brain-eating amoeba after visiting water park

N.C. man dies of brain-eating amoeba after visiting water park

(HealthDay)—The rare brain-eating amoeba Naegleria fowleri has been confirmed as the cause of death of a North Carolina man.

Health officials said the man became sick after swimming in a manmade lake at Fantasy Lake Water Park in Cumberland County on July 12, CBS News reported.

The infection was caused by the amoeba naturally present in warm freshwater during the summer, the state Department of Health and Human Resources said in a news release. Infection can occur when amoeba-contaminated water enters the body through the nose, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

The condition remains very rare: Just 145 people in the United States are known to have been infected with the amoeba from 1962 through 2018, noted.


Explore further

Use sterile or boiled water for nasal washing abroad to avoid amoeba infection

More information: CBS News Article
More Information: CDC

Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Citation: North Carolina man dies of brain-eating amoeba after visiting water park (2019, July 30) retrieved 25 September 2020 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-07-north-carolina-dies-brain-eating-amoeba.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
30 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments