Surgery for congenital heart disease tied to kidney disease

Surgery for congenital heart disease tied to kidney disease

(HealthDay)—The risk for mortality and end-stage kidney disease (ESKD) is high in children who undergo surgical repair for congenital heart disease compared with the general population, according to a study published in the October issue of the Clinical Journal of the American Society of Nephrology.

Chirag R. Parikh, M.B.B.S., Ph.D., from Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, and colleagues followed 3,600 who had their first surgery for within 10 years of birth. Each surgical case was matched to 10 children from the who were similar in age, sex, index date, rurality, and neighborhood income. All-cause mortality and ESKD rates were compared after a median of 5.9 years of follow-up.

The researchers found that during follow-up, 4 percent of children who had surgery for congenital heart disease died and 1 percent had ESKD. Compared with the matched control population, the cumulative incidence of death and ESKD at one, five, and 10 years was higher in children with of congenital heart disease (death: 3, 4, and 5 percent, respectively; ESKD: 1, 2, and 2 percent, respectively). The for ESKD and death was based on the severity of congenital heart disease, with the highest risk seen in children with hypoplastic left heart syndrome.

"The risk of ESKD and mortality was highest in the first year after surgery, which highlights the importance of closer outpatient follow-up after surgery and new risk stratification approaches to identify those children at highest risk," the authors write.

Parikh disclosed financial ties to the biopharmaceutical industry.


Explore further

Careful monitoring of children following cardiac surgery may improve long-term outcomes

More information: Abstract/Full Text (subscription or payment may be required)

Copyright © 2019 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Citation: Surgery for congenital heart disease tied to kidney disease (2019, November 14) retrieved 22 October 2020 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-11-surgery-congenital-heart-disease-tied.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments