Pandemic blocked access to family planning for millions: UN

birth control
Credit: CC0 Public Domain

The COVID-19 pandemic prevented some 12 million women around the world from accessing birth control last year and led to 1.4 million unwanted pregnancies, a UN agency said Thursday.

The were spread among 115 countries, according to a new report by the United Nations Population Fund, which deals with sexual and reproductive health issues.

"Pregnancies don't stop for pandemics, or any crisis," said the agency's executive director, Natalia Kanem.

"We must ensure that women and girls have uninterrupted access to life-saving contraceptives and maternal health medicines," she added.

The report said women could not access in 2020 because restrictions on movement due to the pandemic caused them to use their resources in other ways.

Data collected by the agency showed women accessed family planning services in particular in April and May of last year, relatively early in the pandemic.

"The devastating impact that COVID-19 has had on the lives of millions of women and girls in the past year underscores just how vital it is to ensure the continuity of reproductive health services," Kanem said.


Explore further

Virus kills fewer African women than men: WHO study

© 2021 AFP

Citation: Pandemic blocked access to family planning for millions: UN (2021, March 11) retrieved 15 August 2022 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-03-pandemic-blocked-access-family-millions.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
1 shares

Feedback to editors