US official: Yosemite visitor recovered from virus

(AP)—A visitor to Yosemite National Park has recovered after becoming the ninth person diagnosed with a deadly rodent-borne illness blamed for three deaths among those who spent time at the park this summer, officials said.

The California resident was stricken with the hantavirus after visiting Yosemite in early July, National Park Service spokesman John Quinley said Thursday.

The majority of the cases involved guests at the Signature cabins in Curry Village. One person stayed at multiple High Sierra camps in .

More than 230,000 overnight guests have stayed in the park since early June.

Park officials have sent health warnings to people who stayed at the two locations, advising there may have been a chance of increased exposure.

On Wednesday, officials sent thousands more notifications to reservation holders who booked stays at other locations in the park—locations not associated with any exposures or infections.

Officials said there was no evidence to indicate that people who stayed elsewhere in the park were at increased risk of exposure to hantavirus. The notifications were meant to provide information about the disease and raise awareness, Quinley said.

The disease is carried in the feces, urine and saliva of and other rodents, and carried on and dust.

People can be infected by inhaling the virus or by handling infected rodents. Infected people usually have flu-like symptoms including fever, shortness of breath, chills and muscle and body aches.

The illness can take six weeks to incubate before rapid acute respiratory and . Anyone exhibiting the symptoms must be hospitalized.

Health officials said there have been more than 600 cases nationally since the virus was first identified in 1993. The Yosemite cases are unique because they occurred in clusters, while previous cases have been individual exposures.

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

9th Yosemite Park hantavirus case

Sep 13, 2012

(AP)—The National Park Service says a ninth visitor to Yosemite National Park has been infected with the rodent-borne illness hantavirus.

3rd hantavirus death linked to Yosemite outbreak

Sep 06, 2012

(AP)—A West Virginian is the third person to die so far from a rodent-borne illness linked to some tent cabins at Yosemite National Park that has now stricken eight people in all, health officials said Thursday.

2nd Yosemite visitor dies of rodent-borne illness

Aug 28, 2012

(AP)—About 1,700 people who stayed in tent cabins at Yosemite National Park this summer were warned Tuesday they may have been exposed to a deadly rodent-borne virus blamed for the deaths of two campers.

US park service was warned about Yosemite rodents

Aug 30, 2012

(AP)—The National Park Service was warned in 2010 to increase inspections for rodents in one of its most popular parks and prevent them from entering areas where people sleep, a report obtained Thursday states.

Yosemite extends hantavirus alert to 230,000

Sep 14, 2012

California's Yosemite National Park has said that it has extended its hantavirus warning to 230,000 people after three people died from the rodent-borne disease.

Recommended for you

Fatigue, fear are daily lot of Ebola fighters: experts

2 hours ago

Doctors, nurses and hospital workers fighting the Ebola epidemic in west Africa are struggling with a daily burden of exhaustion, shortage of staff and fear for themselves over the deadly virus, specialists say.

Hong Kong makes Ebola 'contingency' measures

5 hours ago

Hong Kong said Wednesday it was quarantining all people from Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia who were showing Ebola-like symptoms on arrival in the city, as fears grow worldwide about the spread of the deadly virus.

User comments