UAE: Paramedic dies from MERS, others infected

The United Arab Emirates Interior Ministry says one of its paramedics has died after contracting Middle East respiratory syndrome and that five others are also infected.

State news agency WAM quoted the ministry Friday saying that the victims are all Filipino nationals. It did not provide further details on their identities.

It says the five infected paramedics have been placed under quarantine and that people who have recently been treated by them are being checked for infection. The five were found to have contracted the virus during routine check-ups.

MERS belongs to a family of viruses known as coronaviruses that include both the common cold and SARS, which killed some 800 people in a in 2003. It can cause fever, breathing problems, pneumonia and .

5 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Filipino paramedic dies of MERS in UAE

Apr 11, 2014

The United Arab Emirates announced Friday that one of six Filipino paramedics in the UAE who have been infected by the MERS coronavirus has died from the respiratory disease.

Saudi records two new deaths from MERS

Jul 03, 2013

A Saudi man and a woman have died from the MERS virus, raising the death toll from the SARS-like infection in the kingdom to 36, the health ministry said on Wednesday.

Recommended for you

Global Ebola conference seeks end to W.Africa outbreak

3 hours ago

Leaders of Ebola-hit countries in west Africa will attend an international conference in Brussels Tuesday to mobilise a final push to end the outbreak and ensure the delivery of nearly $5 billion in aid pledges.

High prevalence of HCV in baby boomers presenting to ER

12 hours ago

(HealthDay)—The prevalence of unrecognized chronic hepatitis C virus (HCV) is high among baby boomers presenting to the emergency department, according to a study published online Jan. 28 in Hepatology.

The hidden burden of dengue fever in West Africa

13 hours ago

Misdiagnosis of febrile illnesses as malaria is a continuing problem in Africa. A new study shows that in Ghana, dengue fever is circulating in urban areas and going undiagnosed. The authors of the study hope to use the findings ...

Teenager with stroke symptoms actually had Lyme disease

13 hours ago

A Swiss teenager, recently returned home from a discotheque, came to the emergency department with classic sudden symptoms of stroke, only to be diagnosed with Lyme disease. The highly unusual case presentation was published ...

Understanding lung disease in aboriginal Australians

15 hours ago

A new study has confirmed that Aboriginal Australians have low forced vital capacity—or the amount of air that can be forcibly exhaled from the lungs after taking the deepest breath possible. The finding may account for ...

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.