Hundreds infected by cholera in warn-torn S.Sudan: WHO

An outbreak of cholera in South Sudan has killed 23 people and infected at least 670, aid officials said Tuesday, warning the outbreak of the deadly disease could still get worse.

The cases, all in the capital Juba, have raised fears for tens of thousands of people who have sought refuge at UN bases from a wave of ethnic violence triggered by a between President Salva Kiir and rebels loyal to former vice president Riek Machar.

"So far as of yesterday we have over 670 cases that have received treatment. Out of that 23 people have died from ," Abdinasir Abubakar of the World Health Organisation told reporters.

More suspected and unconfirmed cases have also been detected in other parts of the country, including in Jonglei, Lakes and Upper Nile states, he warned.

"We are still at the early stage of the outbreak," Abubakar said.

A spokeswoman for the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS), Ariane Quentier, said the UN was moving displaced people to other sites to reduce the risk of an in the cramped main Tomping base in Juba.

Heavy rains are sweeping the impoverished country, hampering aid efforts and potentially exacerbating the spread of the disease.

Cholera is transmitted through drinking water or eating food contaminated with faeces or dirty hands.

After a short incubation period of two to five days, the disease causes severe diarrhoea, draining the body of its water. The sudden and dramatic loss of fluid is often fatal.

The UN and aid workers have warned of a growing humanitarian crisis in the young nation, including the risk of famine if rebel and government forces continue to fight.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

WHO launches anti-cholera drive in conflict-torn S.Sudan

Feb 22, 2014

The World Health Organisation began a campaign on Saturday to prevent outbreaks of cholera in temporary camps in South Sudan housing thousands of people who have fled the country's brutal two-month-old conflict.

Zimbabwe warned on risk of cholera outbreak

Nov 19, 2013

Human Rights Watch on Tuesday warned that Zimbabwe's capital Harare was at risk of repeating a cholera outbreak five years ago that killed over 4,200 people.

Cuba declares cholera outbreak over

Aug 28, 2012

Cuba's health ministry said Tuesday the country's first cholera outbreak in 130 years is over after three deaths and more than 400 confirmed cases.

Recommended for you

Two US states order tough Ebola quarantine rules

2 hours ago

New York and New Jersey on Friday ordered a mandatory quarantine for medics who treated victims of Ebola in West Africa, after the deadly virus spread to America's largest city.

NY and NJ say they will require Ebola quarantines

20 hours ago

The governors of New Jersey and New York on Friday ordered a mandatory, 21-day quarantine for all doctors and other arriving travelers who have had contact with Ebola victims in West Africa.

User comments