Final toll from melon listeria outbreak: 30 dead

(AP) -- U.S. health authorities say the final death toll from an outbreak of listeria in cantaloupe is 30.

The in Atlanta issued the final update Thursday and said the outbreak is over.

The agency says 30 people died, and a woman pregnant at the time of her illness had a miscarriage. Last month, the CDC put the death toll at 29.

The CDC says a total of 146 people were sickened in 28 states.

The melons came from Jensen Farms in southern Colorado, which recalled the cantaloupes Sept. 14.

Symptoms of can take up to two months to appear.


Explore further

29th person dies in cantaloupe listeria outbreak

More information: CDC's final update: http://1.usa.gov/sf6a7J

©2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Citation: Final toll from melon listeria outbreak: 30 dead (2011, December 9) retrieved 21 October 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-12-toll-melon-listeria-outbreak-dead.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more