Probe into mold at UPMC transplant hospital completed

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has finished its on-site review of a mold problem at the transplant intensive care unit at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.

The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette is reporting that CDC officials believe three who developed mold infections and later died likely breathed in the mold spores instead of having their skin come into contact with mold. That's important because the hospital network had been focusing on bed linens as a possible source of the problem.

UPMC has said it hasn't been conclusively determined that the mold led to those deaths. A fourth transplant patient also developed a mold infection and lived.

The CDC is expected to complete a report on the mold issue in a few weeks.


Explore further

Hospital examines deaths of 2 patients with mold infections

© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Citation: Probe into mold at UPMC transplant hospital completed (2015, October 9) retrieved 21 November 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-10-probe-mold-upmc-transplant-hospital.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
9 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments