Brazil confirms first measles death this year

measles
Illustration of the virus which causes measles. Credit: CDC/ Allison M. Maiuri, MPH, CHES

Brazilian health authorities say the country has had its first death from measles this year.

Brazil's Health Ministry said Thursday that a 42-year-old man died from measles in Sao Paulo. He was not vaccinated against the disease.

Nearly all the measles cases recorded this year in Brazil are in the state of Sao Paulo, where have confirmed 2,457 cases.

Brazil received a measles eradication certificate from the Pan American Health Organization in 2016, but the disease returned in January 2018 from people immigrating from Venezuela.

Measles cases also have surged in Europe and parts of the United States. Health authorities blame that on people refusing vaccines.

The Pan American Health Organization says Brazil recorded more than 10,000 cases of measles with 12 deaths last year.


Explore further

Two die from measles in Switzerland as cases rise

© 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Citation: Brazil confirms first measles death this year (2019, August 29) retrieved 3 April 2020 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-08-brazil-measles-death-year.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
3 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments