WHO issues appeal for $675m to fight novel coronavirus

coronavirus
Credit: CC0 Public Domain
The World Health Organization on Wednesday called for $675 million (613 million euros) in donations for a plan to fight the novel coronavirus, mainly through investment in countries considered particularly "at risk".

"Today we're launching a strategic preparedness and response plan.... We're requesting $675 million to fund the plan for the next three months," WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a news conference in Geneva.

"Our message to the is invest today or pay more later," Tedros said, adding that the funding appeal was "much less than the bill we will have to pay if we do not invest in preparedness now".

Tedros said $60 million of the funds would be for WHO operations while the remainder would go to countries requiring assistance to guard against the .

He said WHO was sending 500,000 masks and 40,000 respirators to 24 countries from its warehouses in Dubai and Accra.

Tedros also hailed a $100 million donation from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation announced earlier on Wednesday for virus testing, treatment and .

Asked about Britain's call for its nationals to leave China, Tedros said: "That blanket approach may not help. We encourage all countries to make decisions based on evidence."

He said an international expert mission being organised by WHO would be leaving for China "very, very soon".


Explore further

WHO says China virus evacuations not needed: report

© 2020 AFP

Citation: WHO issues appeal for $675m to fight novel coronavirus (2020, February 5) retrieved 18 February 2020 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-02-issues-appeal-675m-coronavirus.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
20 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments