Taiwan official quits over 'bird flu cover-up'

A top Taiwan agriculture official stepped down Sunday amid allegations he covered up bird flu outbreaks, a day after authorities said they had culled thousands of chickens.

Hsu Tien-lai, the chief of the Bureau of Animal and Plant Health Inspection and Quarantine had tendered his resignation, Council of Agriculture spokesman Wang Cheng-taung told AFP.

Hsu was accused in a documentary of covering up outbreaks of H5N2 , a less of the virus.

Wang insisted that the "approval of Hsu's resignation is not an indication that he had 'covered up' the ", adding that the accusations would be investigated.

Wang also confirmed Sunday Taiwan's poultry exports would be suspended for at least three months, with an estimated loss of up to Tw$600 million ($20.27 million) this year.

Taiwan reported its first outbreak of H5N2 -- which officials say does not affect human health -- in 2004 but has remained clear of the more virulent strain, which is potentially fatal for humans.

Hsu's unit confirmed Saturday that nearly 58,000 chickens had been culled at two farms on the island following the latest outbreak, most of them at a farm in central Changhua county.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Vietnam culls over 2,500 chickens in bird flu fight

Jan 05, 2012

Vietnam has culled more than 2,500 chickens from a farm in the Mekong Delta area in an effort to contain a bird flu outbreak, officials said Thursday, amid heightened fears about the virus in the region.

Bird flu outbreak reported in Russia

Oct 01, 2007

Hundreds of thousands of birds at a poultry farm in Russia's southern Krasnodar Terroritory are being destroyed following an outbreak of bird flu.

Recommended for you

New medical device to make the mines safer

Nov 21, 2014

Dehydration can be a serious health issue for Australia's mining industry, but a new product to be developed with input from Flinders University's Medical Device Partnering Program (MDPP) is set to more effectively ...

US family gets $6.75 million in Botox case

Nov 20, 2014

A New York couple who said Botox treatment of their son's cerebral palsy left him with life-threatening complications and sued its manufacturer won a $6.75 million verdict from a federal jury on Thursday.

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.