UN calls for $2mn to fight deadly Ebola outbreak in DR Congo

The United Nations appealed Wednesday for $2 million (1.6 million euros) to fight an epidemic of the Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo that has killed 14 people.

The call, supported by the , came after the WHO said on Tuesday that the number of people infected with the rare haemorrhagic disease had tripled since mid-August.

"We're also launching an appeal to all (aid) partners to join the fight against the epidemic, which, if not quickly controlled, is a public health event that could quickly become an emergency with global impact," WHO country representative Leodegal Bazira told journalists.

The epicentre of the epidemic has been located in the town of Isiro, in the northeast of the vast country. Eleven people have died in the town out of 18 registered cases.

outbreaks have also been reported from neighbouring western Uganda, where 17 people have died.

The disease, named after a small river in DR Congo, is fatal in about 50 to 90 percent of cases, with victims bleeding from body orifices before dying in the most severe instances.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Ebola caseload soars in eastern DR Congo

Sep 04, 2012

The number of people with Ebola, a rare haemorrhagic disease, in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo has tripled since mid-August, the World Health Organisation said Tuesday, after 14 patients died in two weeks.

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo

Aug 18, 2012

Nine people have died in an outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Health Minister Felix Kabangue said on Saturday.

Uganda Ebola outbreak 'coming to an end': WHO

Sep 03, 2012

Uganda's latest outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus appears to be over, the World Health Organisation said Monday, pointing out that no new cases had been confirmed for the past month.

Recommended for you

Two US states order tough Ebola quarantine rules

16 hours ago

New York and New Jersey on Friday ordered a mandatory quarantine for medics who treated victims of Ebola in West Africa, after the deadly virus spread to America's largest city.

NY and NJ say they will require Ebola quarantines

Oct 24, 2014

The governors of New Jersey and New York on Friday ordered a mandatory, 21-day quarantine for all doctors and other arriving travelers who have had contact with Ebola victims in West Africa.

User comments