10 people die of suspected Ebola in Congo

(AP) — The World Health Organization says an outbreak of suspected Ebola in eastern Congo has infected at least 15 people, 10 of whom died.

WHO said in a statement on Tuesday that two of the cases are confirmed as Ebola and that the rest are "probable" Ebola.

The in Congo's Orientale Province follows one last month in neighboring Uganda that killed 16 people. Ugandan health officials say the outbreak there is under control, but they have yet to declare the country free of Ebola. It is not clear if the outbreak in is related to the one in Uganda.

WHO said Congolese health officials are working with groups such as Doctors Without Borders to stem the spread of Ebola.

is highly infectious and kills quickly.


Explore further

WHO official: Ebola under control in Uganda

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Citation: 10 people die of suspected Ebola in Congo (2012, August 22) retrieved 22 November 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-08-people-die-ebola-congo.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments