Dominican Republic, Haiti in 10-year cholera fight

October 8, 2012

(AP)—Officials in Haiti and the Dominican Republic are preparing for a long campaign against cholera, the water-borne disease that has sickened tens of thousands of people in the two neighboring Caribbean countries.

Dominican Deputy Minister of Public Health Rafael Schiffino says the two governments are working on a project to wipe out the disease on Hispaniola by 2022. The plan will include substantial spending on and sanitation.

A bilateral meeting on the plan started Monday in the .

emerged suddenly in Haiti in October 2010. Experts say it was likely introduced by U.N. peacekeepers. Since then, the disease has killed 7,000 people and sickened about 300,000 in Haiti. There have been 22,000 cases and 350 deaths in the Dominican Republic.

Explore further: Haiti cholera death toll nears 7,000: expert

shares

Related Stories

Haiti cholera death toll nears 7,000: expert

January 6, 2012

Nearly 7,000 people have now died from cholera in Haiti in an epidemic which has become one of the worst of recent decades, a top health official said Friday.

Recommended for you

Cellphone data can track infectious diseases

August 20, 2015

Tracking mobile phone data is often associated with privacy issues, but these vast datasets could be the key to understanding how infectious diseases are spread seasonally, according to a study published in the Proceedings ...

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.