New Ebola outbreak in Uganda kills 2

(AP)—Ugandan officials say a new outbreak of Ebola hemorrhagic fever has killed at least two Ugandans in a district near the capital.

Health Minister Christine Ondoa told The Associated Press late Wednesday that investigators had found conclusive evidence of in Luweero, about 62 kilometers (38 miles) from Kampala, the capital.

Last month Uganda declared itself Ebola-free after an earlier outbreak of the disease killed at least 16 people in a remote district of western Uganda. It was not clear if the new outbreak and the previous one are related. In 2000 an Ebola in Uganda infected 425 people, killing more than half.

Ebola is highly infectious and kills quickly. It was first reported in 1976 in Congo and is named for the river where it was recognized.

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

WHO official: Ebola under control in Uganda

Aug 03, 2012

(AP) — Doctors were slow to respond to an outbreak of Ebola in Uganda because symptoms weren't always typical, but a World Health Organization official said Friday that authorities are halting the spread of the deadly ...

Uganda Ebola outbreak 'coming to an end': WHO

Sep 03, 2012

Uganda's latest outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus appears to be over, the World Health Organisation said Monday, pointing out that no new cases had been confirmed for the past month.

Officials: Ebola breaks out in Uganda

Jul 28, 2012

(AP) — The deadly Ebola virus has killed 14 people in western Uganda this month, Ugandan health officials said on Saturday, ending weeks of speculation about the cause of a strange disease that had many people fleeing ...

Recommended for you

Two expats die of MERS in Saudi commercial hub

21 hours ago

Two foreigners died of MERS in the Saudi city of Jeddah, the health ministry said Saturday, as fears rise over the spreading respiratory virus in the kingdom's commercial hub.

UAE reports 12 new cases of MERS

21 hours ago

Health authorities in the United Arab Emirates have announced 12 new cases of infection by the MERS coronavirus, but insisted the patients would be cured within two weeks.

Filipino tests negative for Middle East virus

Apr 19, 2014

A Filipino nurse who tested positive for the Middle East virus has been found free of infection in a subsequent examination after he returned home, Philippine health officials said Saturday.

User comments