Two British patients die from eating hospital food

hospital
Credit: CC0 Public Domain

Two Britons have died of food poisoning after eating pre-packaged sandwiches and salads, UK health authorities said on Friday, in a listeria outbreak that has already killed three people in British hospitals.

The patients died of listeriosis, a rare bacterial infection that is especially dangerous for people with weak immune systems or .

The listeria bacteria primarily develops in and chilled ready-to-eat food, according to Britain's National Health Service (NHS).

The source of the infection is reportedly products supplied by The Good Food Chain and the affected sandwiches and salads have since been withdrawn from hospitals.Hop

"To date, there have been no patients linked to this incident outside healthcare organisations, but we continue to investigate," said Nick Phin, the deputy head of the National Infection Service.

"Swift action was taken to protect patients and any risk to the public is low."

The Good Food Chain supplies 43 NHS trusts, which often group together several hospitals, across Britain.

The chain had been supplied with meat produced by North Country Cooked Meats, which subsequently produced a positive test result for the outbreak strain of listeria.


Explore further

Listeria in Dole packaged salad kills 1, sickens 11

© 2019 AFP

Citation: Two British patients die from eating hospital food (2019, June 14) retrieved 19 July 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-06-british-patients-die-hospital-food.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
5 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more