Ebola outbreak in DR Congo stabilises: WHO

An outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo has stabilised, with no new deaths or cases in more than a week, the World Health Organisation said Tuesday.

For the past 10 days, the from the haemorraghic fever has remained at 36 and no new cases have been registered, the WHO said in a bulletin. The last case of hospitalisation dates back to October 11, according to the statement released to the press on Tuesday.

A total of 75 people are believed to have been infected and the fatality rate in the went to 48 percent.

"We are very, very vigilant," WHO Kinshasa representative Leodegal Bazira told AFP. "It takes just one case to start up a cycle of transmission." The fact that the disease had been confined to the town of Isiro and its neighbourhood was a positive factor, he added.

An epidemic was declared in mid-August in the northeastern Orientale Province. But researchers have dated the outbreak back to May.

The ministry of health, the WHO, the Centers for Disease Control based in Atlanta, Georgia, and Doctors Without Borders (MSF) have been working in close cooperation to combat the outbreak.

To date, there is no treatment or vaccine for Ebola, which kills between 25 and 90 percent of those who fall sick, depending on the strain of the virus, according to the WHO.

The disease is transmitted by direct contact with blood, faeces and sweat, by sexual contact and by unprotected handling of contaminated corpses.

DR Congo has recorded eight outbreaks of , one of the world's most virulent diseases, since the virus was first reported near a Congolese river that gave the disease its name in 1976.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Ebola claims up to 32 lives in DR Congo: WHO (Update)

Sep 18, 2012

An outbreak of Ebola fever in the Democratic Republic of Congo may have claimed up to 32 lives since May, including that of a woman who had just given birth, the World Health Organisation said Tuesday.

DR Congo Ebola toll rises to 36

Oct 01, 2012

An outbreak of Ebola fever in the Democratic Republic of Congo may have killed up to 36 people, out of 81 suspected cases, according to a new death toll released by the health ministry on Monday.

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo

Aug 18, 2012

Nine people have died in an outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Health Minister Felix Kabangue said on Saturday.

Recommended for you

Bacteria detected in food may cause abortions

1 hour ago

The results of research conducted in the ICAS Culiacán reveal that at least 10 percent of the fresh cheese, sausages and meats sold in markets and on the street may be contaminated.

UN Ebola czar heads to West Africa

6 hours ago

The UN's new pointman on Ebola said Tuesday he will travel to West Africa this week to shore up health services in the four countries hit by the worst-ever outbreak of the virus.

User comments