French health authorities said Monday that nearly 8,000 French women had followed a government recommendation to have faulty breast implants that sparked a global health scare removed.
The ANSM health product and drug safety agency said that, as of the end of April, 7,868 women had the implants produced by Poly Implant Prothese (PIP) removed, after French authorities warned they were more prone to rupture.
The agency also said that 48 cases of breast cancer had been detected in women with the implants, but health officials have said there is no proven link between the implants and the disease.
Authorities estimate that about 30,000 women in France received the implants produced by PIP, which shut down in 2010 after it was revealed to have been using substandard, industrial-grade silicone gel.
More than 400,000 women around the world are believed to have received the implants and many countries have urged women to have them removed.
PIP's founder Jean-Claude Mas, 73, was charged in January with causing "involuntary injuries" in the case and in March was jailed in the southern city of Marseille after failing to pay his 100,000 euro ($125,000) bail.
Explore further: Belgium advises women to have PIP breast implants removed