Morocco announces first coronavirus death

Morocco's health ministry said Tuesday the country had recorded its first death linked to the new coronavirus, an 89-year-old woman who suffered from chronic health problems.

The woman, a Moroccan citizen who had been living in Italy, "suffered from affecting the respiratory and cardiovascular system", the ministry said in a statement.

She returned to Morocco in late February, before testing positive for the virus and being transferred under to a hospital in Casablanca, according to the statement.

Two other infections have been confirmed in the kingdom—a Moroccan man who came home from Italy and a French tourist who arrived in Marrakesh on Saturday. Both are under medical supervision.

Moroccan authorities have imposed restrictions on sporting and cultural events, including closing stadia to the public.

Local media outlets have reported that the vital tourism sector is being hit by cancellations of travel bookings.

Several people have been arrested by authorities in recent days for allegedly spreading misinformation on coronavirus on social networks.


Explore further

Follow the latest news on the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak

© 2020 AFP

Citation: Morocco announces first coronavirus death (2020, March 10) retrieved 5 July 2020 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-03-morocco-coronavirus-death.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments